Hi Everyone. Here’s a quick post that I’m sure will make all the difference in your Web Dev Life.
NOTE: For Firefox, you need to install Firebug to use this plug-in, as it’s an extension to Firebug.
Once you’ve installed the Firebug and YSlow plug-in, and restarted your Browser, do the following:
1. Open your Website. In my example I’m using my XPages Showcase for this example.
2. Push F12 on your keyboard. This will open the Firebug Window at the bottom of the Browser.
3. Click on the YSlow Tab. You’ll see an introduction Page, and a button at the bottom that says “Run Test”. This takes about 2-5 seconds to run.
4. Once completed, YSlow returns a set of results. You’ll get an overall Grade with a Performance score. (Please don’t judge me for getting a C. YSlow’s moaning at me for not optimizing CSS and JS files, but there’s a reason for that…)
5. If you take a look at the 3rd Red Arrow on the Image, you’ll see it’s pointing to the Ruleset List. This is pretty awesome, because you can set the rules and benchmark for how your site should be measured. There is a YSlow Add-On called Web Metrics Framework, which is a ruleset that measures your Website according to Google’s Standards.
6. If you go into each of the sections that’s returned….e.g. Content…..you’ll get a second set of Tabs that Score you according to individual operations….See image below.
7. YSlow also comes with quite a bit of useful Hints, Tips and supporting documentation.
This add-on is easy to navigate, and very very useful. I hope it helps. Thanks Yahoo.
Cheers for now.