This is a quick tip on how to get Ti.Map working again on your iOS7 builds after upgrading Titanium to SDK 3.4.0.
For the sake of those who just want to know how to fix the problem and not why it occurred, I will commence this post with the fix and then after that explain what I assumed happened.
Also, thanks to Tim Poulsen and Boydlee, please see below Option 1 on how to resolve this issue best. I’ve kept my option as Option 2
How to fix the issue – Option 1 (Thanks to Tim and Boydlee)
- In Titanium Studio, open the tiapp.xml file in your mobile project
- Under the Modules section, double click on the entry “ti.map”
- Change the version to 2.0.2 (Which seems to be the version that will work with SDK 3.2.0 and up)
How to fix the issue – Option 2
- In Finder, navigate to “Library > Application Support > Titanium > modules > iphone > ti.map“
- Starting with the latest version of Ti.Map, open the relevant folder (e.g. 2.0.5)
- Open the manifest file using TextEdit
- Check the mindsdk property. If it says 3.4.0, then it will only work for iOS 8 Builds
- If you want to still develop for iOS7 and use Ti.Map globally for all your apps, then you will need to delete the version of Ti.Map relevant to the above-mentioned
- In my case, I needed to delete the 2.0.4 and 2.0.5 folders. Now, my latest version of Ti.Map is 2.0.2
The error I was getting
I mentioned in a previous post of mine, that the reason I upgraded Titanium Studio to version 3.4.0, was because Xcode 6 silently installed itself on my machine. When I upgraded Titanium to 3.4.0, I got the following error message when trying to run a build for an iOS7 app that makes use of the Ti.MAP module:
My assumption of what happened
So, here’s a shot in the dark of what happened. When upgrading to Titanium Studio 3.4.0, Appcelerator saw that I had the Ti.Map module (which Appcelerator developed) and immediately downloaded the latest version (2.0.4 or 2.0.5), which I assume is required for iOS 8 development.
The truth is, I can’t remember what version of Ti.Map I installed last, but I do know that it was working. When I opened the modules folder on my Mac, the latest version was 2.0.4.
At this time I thought that maybe I downloaded 2.0.4 a while ago, and during the update of Titanium Studio this module was modified accidentally by the update.
My first attempt to fix the problem
First thing I did was check on Github what the latest version of Ti.Map was. I noticed 2.0.5 was released and downloaded that to my modules folder.
Sadly this did not fix the problem. I still received the same error as before.
My second attempt to fix the problem
I got a bit clever and opened the manifest file for version 2.0.5. I noticed that the minsdk parameter had a value of 3.4.0. I changed this to 3.2.3.
The good news is that my app was successfully running again. The bad news is that when launching any window that made use of the Ti.Map module I got the following error:
It was here that I finally made the assumption that Ti.Map 2.0.4 was automatically downloaded, as it contains code that only works in XCode 6.
My third attempt which finally fix the problem
What I did next was started from the latest version of Ti.Map, and checking backwards which version had a minsdk lower or equal to 3.2.3. In my case, it was version 2.0.2 of Ti.Map. So I deleted the 2.0.4 and 2.0.5 folders, reran my iOS7 build and Boom. Everything is working again.
I hope this helps everyone. I welcome any input that would assist in understanding what happened here.
Cheers for now